Jock Scott: one of the patterns that got me interested in classic salmon tying in the first place, and one that i have tied a few times since then, but mostly for fishing, and never once for just tying it properly. Now that autumn is on us and I needed to get back to tying again I picked up a Yasuhiro hook that I’ve been saving for a fly like this, got some coffee on started tying this. It has been in the vise for a couple of weeks, slowly getting all the parts together.
The problem with sizes like this, a #6/0, is always finding long enough material, but it came together, and now it’s time for framing.
The initial books that was added to flypattern.org was the old, international known, salmon fly authors: Blacker, Kelson, Francis Francis and others. This coincided with the ASFI 2018, and was a natural starting point for the site.
The plan have always been to digg deeper into authors and flytyers that are known locally and internationally, and to document the patterns that these people are behind. One such author is John Sand (Norway), that together with his son Erling are well known for their patterns and the extended business they built.
Last year I was lucky enough to purchase a box of materials and hooks after a person that tied for the Sand company, among these were 3 hand-written recipe books from the time. At the same time Roy-Tore Gjertsen have been collecting and tying up the old Sand patterns, keeping a translation of them in English. Now there are 92 patterns added to flypattern.org, documenting the old patterns for the future, in addition Roy-Tore have allowed me to use his pictures of some of the patterns listed in order to get a reference version online.
I hope this can help preserve the patterns from Sand in the future: http://flypattern.org/authors/john-sand
Earlier this year I got a order for some Jock Scott with heron hackle instead of the normal body hackle, they turned out great, so before the last big trip of the season I tied up a Green Highlander with a similar approach. The fly turned out great – the movement in the water, the profile it had in the river left something to explore more! Sadly no takers, and the last day I fished a new pool with sinking line: the line & hook snagged deep down, so it was pulled so hard the partridge M2 #1/0 hook got bent (that hook can take a lot of beating….). Back to tie up a few more for next season!
This winter I have worked on a new project to preserve historic flypatterns and information: flypattern.org
It has been live for a little while now, so head over to the http://flypattern.org/about section for a introduction to the site and why I have built it.
Got a couple of orders for Jock Scott – to be fished here in Norway. One of them was a specific request: a standard JS, but with a heron hackle instead of the called-for black hackle. I think it turned out very good, and I now need to tie up a couple of this variant for my Gaula fishing in July!